Monday, September 17, 2007

1984 is not the year I was boooooorn

A songwriter has a tattoo on his (I think) right wrist: 1974. I have no idea why, but ever since seeing it I've wanted one to match. I really dig him; and if I believed in cosmic things I'd think we came from the same star or something (grain of salt, ladies and gents), but I don't, and I don't adore him enough to want to pay tribute to him on my body. I'm not that crazy. His 1974 is thick and serious, and you know it means business, because it does: that is the year he was born. I'd want mine small and flimsy, in my handwriting, maybe even in white ink. Small and insignificant, because it would be: that date means nothing to me--I wasn't even close to being an idea in my mother's head yet.

Because 1974 means nothing to me, and because I'd feel like a creeper if I did get it, I've been thinking about 1984--the year The Smiths' first LP came out. Again, I'm not so crazy (I might be) that I'd get an actual Smiths tattoo, but it ends in four. I don't know. It's sticking though, and I can't let it go.

In a small way, if I did get that tattoo, it would show a small bit of my identity or personality: I'm a person who tends to act on whims. I try not to question myself and can't always stop myself from doing something once I’ve got the itching in my head. But that’s it, it’d just be a symbol of my carelessness.

I don’t believe tattoos or piercings can solve personal issues, or make a person’s identity, but I do think they can symbolize a part of a person’s identity. Someone might get a tattoo of the Star of David if they’re Jewish, but a person doesn't become Jewish because they got a tattoo of the Star of David, etc etc.

No comments: