Monday, October 29, 2007

don't try to tell me kate moss ain't pretty

What I saw in the video we watched today was a lot of truths and maybe half-truths, and a line so blurred between the two that I couldn’t tell the difference. The filmmaker did an excellent job of backing up her arguments, but a couple of the make-up ads’ deeper meanings were stretched a bit, I think. There was one about muting or something, and she said the subtext was women shouldn’t speak, but I think what it really meant was that it was light make-up, unnoticeable make-up. I can’t remember now exactly what was said, which is ruining my whole argument. There were many ads, though, she showed convening the same message of silence, and I agreed with her on most of them.

Another thing that really stood out as a possible half-truth was the argument designed after the ad with the blond girl looking down on the black boy. I could definitely see what she was talking about in the photo, don’t get me wrong; the only issue I had with that argument was that she only had that one advert to back it up.

Anyway, the bottom line is women are mistreated in the media; they are objectified and portrayed unrealistically, and it puts pressure on those of us not living in the pages of magazines or the static of TV screens.

Oh! And I thought that the ‘objectification of women in the media leads to violence against women’ argument was really interesting. I don’t solidly agree with it because I haven’t looked into it, but what she said made a lot of sense.

The thing that struck me most was how much I agreed with what she was saying, but how little I cared about it. I wasn’t enraged, and I feel I should have been. It’s like I’ve been beyond desensitized by it—‘it’s normal, it’s no big deal.’

Also, semi-unrelated, runway models are that thin for an actual reason (they’re not selling bodies, they’re showing clothes, and curves would be distracting. They are human hangers. And they make that choice.), so people really need to calm down about that. And why is it okay to tell one they’re too skinny, but it’s not okay to call one fat?

2 comments:

Rasanen said...

I like your last sentence... well I liked all that you had to say, but your last sentence really stuck out. I have never been able to understand it either....
I found I had so much to write about the subject that I would make it my second blog for this week, thanks for the prompt.

Kirsten Phelan said...

i agree that we are desensitized to it. i dont always think that the ad message is intentional to what se got but i thought her points were that we are so bombarded with the negative images that we forget that they shouldnt be used at all. its like the violence on tv, there is more now and there is a more in the world. i almost say the same with profanity. its more aceptable on tv and in music and its used more publicly.