Monday, November 5, 2007

The prices of textbooks make me consider dropping out almost everyday, no joke.

A vision of students today… Rather than helping promote learning and making learning material more accessible, technology is helping students waste time during and after class. It is a tool which is meant to be used to cut down on cost, less textbooks, etc....

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure what the direct, singular point of the video was. The bit about how much time kids waste in class on sites almost seemed like a thesis, but there was so much more (and unrelated) information throughout. Maybe the point was that college is handled haphazardly on both sides of the spectrum; how major universities make their students feel minuscule and unimportant (except when it comes to money), and how students don't always realize that even though they are in an unfortunate situation (in my opinion, the cost of education today is absolutely ridiculous), they are also privileged, and that while they're there, they might as well use their time wisely.

I do think that if students were made to feel more important, or at least human, then maybe they'd put more effort into their studies..but. No. That distance between student and educator isn't an issue at Community College, and yet I see the same things go on here.

The video made college seem hopeless and pointless and a waste of time and money, which is something that always lingers in the back of my mind. However, those feelings are strictly towards my own situation. See, I'm a lit major (or going to be when I get to a university..if I don't quit first) but I don't want to be a writer, I don't want to be a teacher..I just don't know. I think that's the problem with a lot of college students actually, they don't know what they want. It's too soon to know what you want out of the rest of you life, but then again, it'll always be too soon. Anyway, I love learning, so that's why I keep on keeping on. I just wish this 'hobby' wouldn't cost my parent's, and eventually me, so much.
…I'm only trying to get a degree so I can get a student visa in England. True story. But if that does happen, it'll be for a master’s program..years and thousands upon thousands of dollars away.

Oh! Oscar Wilde said: "Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught."

And he knew everything. Also, all the information about me is essential in the quest for you to know everything. Ever. Like Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde.

I'm tired.

1 comment:

Kirsten Phelan said...

school is expensive. my family tries to get me to move to california because its cheaper there as a resident. but they pay nothing there and the cost of living is way higher. silly. dont worry you will find direction with your lit/eng stuff. i set my goal as librarian since that seems to keep the books and learning coming but if it changes along the way thats okay too. maybe check out that field?